Saturday, March 12, 2005

On Impatience

A month ago I wrote in A Breach of Wu Wei of hitting a wall. In my haste and greed to learn Tai Chi faster, I had violated the Taoist principle of wu wei, "taking no action."

Here from this web page of the Martial Arts Institute is a Japanese story which makes the same point humorously:

A young boy traveled across the country to the school of a famous Sensei teaching martial arts. When he arrived at the Dojo he was greeted by the Sensei, who said, "What do you wish from me?"

"I wish to be your student and become the finest martial artist in the land," said the boy. "How long must I study?"

"Ten years at least," the Sensei replied.

"Ten years is a long time," the boy said. "What if I study twice as hard as all the other students?"

"Twenty years," replied the Sensei.

"Twenty years! But what if I practice day and night with all my might?"

"Thirty years," the Sensei replied.

"Thirty years! Why is it that each time I say I will practice harder, you say it will take longer?"

"The answer is clear," said the Sensei. "When one eye is fixed on the final destination, there is only one eye left with which to find the way."

Natural as it may seem to be in a hurry, it's nothing but counterproductive.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home